Eat Better: A Day of Healthy Comfort Food
You can revamp your favorite meals to slash calorie counts while actually boosting flavor. Here are three upgrades, from breakfast to dinner, that prove it. (Plus, see superstar chef Bobby Flay’s List of Top Superfoods to learn how to upgrade your next meal.)
Breakfast: French Toast
French toast is by definition a carb-heavy breakfast. But by increasing your fiber intake, you can blunt the impact on your sugar levels. Try replacing the syrup with any of these simple fruit-packed toppings. Sure, it's still a pretty decadent way to start your day, but at least you won't need a nap afterward.
· A dollop of ricotta and some orange segments
· Raw strawberries with powdered sugar
· Blueberries cooked for 15 minutes with a spoonful of water and a bit of sugar
· Need more ideas? Jumpstart your morning with our list of The Best Breakfast Foods.
Lunch: Deli Sandwich
Reconfigure your next triple-decker sandwich as a knife-and-fork version on a single slice of bread. This achieves the near-impossible feat of making it feel more substantial while actually lowering its calories. Just broil the assembled open-faced sandwich on a baking sheet until browned, 5 minutes. (Learn the secret to faster weight loss in The Perfect Time to Eat Lunch.)
· Black Forest ham, Gruyere, Dijon mustard, freshly ground pepper
· Roast beef, caramelized onions, provolone, thinly sliced pickles
· Roasted vegetables, pesto, fresh mozzarella
Dinner: Stuffed Pasta
You might think of lasagna and manicotti as cheesy instruments of the devil, tempting you away from your best eating intentions. But if you tweak the sauce and cut back on the mozzarella, you'll find a healthy meal hiding under that bubbling cheese. Use one of these fillings in your next batch.
· Chicken sausage simmered with onions, garlic, and tomatoes
· Sauteed mushrooms with goat cheese, parsley, and ricotta
· Shrimp sauteed with garlic and spinach, with sun-dried tomatoes and ricotta
||Log In With Facebook to post a comment|